It’s no secret that porridge is one of the best breakfast recipes you can have to fuel your day sufficiently. Full of fiber, minerals, vitamins and more protein than most other grains, oats will keep you fuller for longer and enrich your body with the fabulous nutrients it needs. Your average morning porridge with milk and a slab of apricot jam is not just boring, but also not that good for your health. But do not fear! The Detox Kitchen have given us one of their wondrous porridge recipes with a blackberry, beetroot and lime compote. It won’t just spice up your breakfast time but fill your morning with goodness.
- To begin, make the blackberry compote. Place the beetroot in 100ml water and bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes until the beetroot is very soft.
- Add the lime, honey and blackberries. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Once cooked, put the mixture to one side to cool. (This will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days)
- Next, the honey pecans: place the pecans in a non-stick pan and dry fry for about 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Then add the honey and cook for a further 2 minutes so that the pecans are both covered in honey.
- Tip the pecans onto some greaseproof paper and allow to cool. Roughly chop once cooled.
- To make the porridge, place the cardamom and cinnamon stick in a medium pan with the oats and half of the water. On a medium heat, bring the water to a simmer and continue stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the water, the coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to stir for 5 minutes. Remove the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and discard.
- Once the porridge is cooked, divide into two bowls. Top with some finely sliced apple, coconut yoghurt, the blackberry compote and honey pecans.
Stay tuned for some more recipes with the Detox Kitchen!